For rent inspection
Becoming a landowner in section 8 allows much more flexibility to find tenants. When you rent your house to landowners in Section 8 of the rent monthly you will be paid directly to you through local housing authorities and the balance will be paid by your tenant. Before renting Section 8 renters, the PHA must approve your property.
- Contact your local public housing authority for an application of section 8. Landowner site web Department of Housing and Urban Development has a list of PHAs.
- Complete and send your request, which vary and are updated periodically. But expect to answer personal questions and about your property, such as square meters and the requirements of your income.
- Establish a schedule for the PHA inspection of your property. The inspector will observe the safety hazards, such as improper electrical cables and lead paint. In addition, it will ensure that all plumbing works, that the doors and windows are secure and are equipped with working locks and that the kitchen has an oven and a refrigerator in operation.
- Make the parts requested by the PHA and establish a follow-up inspection.
- Signs a home assistance payment agreement (HAP). Once approved, the PHA must sign the HAP, which demonstrates your willingness to become part of the Section 8 program and receive monthly PHA income checks once the tenant agreement is signed.
Tips & Warnings
- Section 8 is also known as the Housing Choice Voucher Program
- Depending on the claim, processing the application and approving the inspection can be a protracted process.